Monday, February 11, 2008

Life and Death of the Ojo Video Phone


The Ojo Video Phone. Engadget posted the rumor that the phone and service have now gone kaput. And I can confirm it. After two plus years, the Ojo in my living room has finally reached the end of its run.

Because I work for Motorola, I became the proud owner of two Ojos back in late 2005. This was right before Motorola gave up on the product and turned it back over to WorldGate, its original manufacturer. I was the coveted demographic for the video phone, a new parent and daughter of new grandparents, all with broadband connections.

And despite a few hiccups here and there, we would have made a fantastic case study. Until last week, we used the Ojos regularly. My two-year-old has literally grown up seeing her grandparents on the phone every few days. Now it looks like we’ll have to default to webcams, a sorry substitute.
[Zatz not funny]



Buy from Amazon - Ipod Touch 16GB (Black)
Buy from Amazon - Archos 605 Wi-Fi 160 GB
Buy from Amazon - Creative Zen 16 GB (Black)
Buy from Amazon - Zune 80GB (Black)



No comments: